Saturday, December 4, 2010

Response to a Response Post: "Making Jokes"

I chose to respond to this post because it sounded like it was genuinely written, and I agree with it's points. Pedro responed to a post Lhadze wrote about how making jokes are bad because they hurt feelings. Here's what he said:
Lhadze talks about how people can get hurt when there is a joke made about them. I agree that it is wrong to make fun of someone for something that they can't help, but at the same time, we are teenagers and we like to make fun of each other through jokes. For me, I like to make jokes about people, but only to the ones who know how to laugh along and not get so butt-hurt when I say it. I wouldn't make fun of someone if I knew that they wouldn't know how to take a joke. I know my limits and even if I make jokes, I would not take it too far, only with people who I am closer to. If I don't know someone, then of course it would be wrong to poke fun at them.
Pedro was the perfect person to respond to her post. 


There's a difference between "joking around" and intentionally trying to piss someone off. Every teenager is at risk of being made fun of, just because that's life. The people who are making jokes know who it is okay to tease and ridicule, and who it isn't, based on other's reaction. 


Pedro (and others) tease and joke around with me all the time. At one point when it first started, I used to get so aggravated by it. I didn't know how to respond, so I kept my mouth shut and just took it. At this point however, I'm a lot closer with Pedro, so I know he never purposefully tried to make me upset - he noticed something worth pointing out, and made a joke about it. Now, I just laugh along - completely aware of my flaws and imperfections - and joke back. 


I've been in Pedro's shoes as well, making jokes about others but never wanting to hut their feelings.


If you notice, those who are constantly goofing off and teasing people, don't go around the entire school involving everybody. They (we) stay within a group of significant individuals and don't spread out much. Like Pedro said, they know their limits, and even if they make jokes, they don't take them too far - and when they do, it's only with people they are closer too.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment