Thursday, February 17, 2011

My mom would be dead.

This is the second time I have read this article and I am still shocked and upset about everything this woman says.
"Western parents try to respect their children's individuality, encouraging them to pursue their true passions, supporting their choices, and providing positive reinforcement and a nurturing environment. By contrast, the Chinese believe that the best way to protect their children is by preparing them for the future, letting them see what they're capable of, and arming them with skills, work habits and inner confidence that no one can ever take away."
     
Amy Chua's methods are unbelievable. To start off, what I don't understand is why she finds it necessary to group her own methods in withh every other Chinese home. Just from asking close friends, I know that not every Chinese parent is like her; they may have similar traits/methods of discipline, but all in all I don't think they are this extreme. Also, not every Western household is as soft and caring as she believes - in fact, some households (like my own) are just as strict and angry as she is. Now, there is a limit to HOW strict they are. My parents don't force my to go without eating or using the bathroom for hours at a time, and they don't threaten to take things of mine away. All in all, I think this lady is crazy.

      A child owes love and respect to their parent. We did not make the decision to come into this world, but our parents brought us here so I believe they owe us love, care, and all essentials of living until we are capable of caring for ourselves.Chua does not believe she owes her children anything, which sucks. It isn't fair not to let her children ruin their lives for her satisfaction.

      I don't know what else to say. Amy Chua should go screw a donkey.

No comments:

Post a Comment