Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Book Post Tres

      Well, this time around I decided to take a different approach on analyzing this book. Writing about each vignette was, pretty boring. So here is/was my overall opinion of How the Garcia Girls Lost Their Accents:


      First off,  as everyone has agreed, because of  how the book was structured, it was horrifically complicated to understand. I had struggles understanding how one event had an affect on another event, because the first event mentioned is actually the result of the event that happened first but the first event was not mentioned until after we found out about the result. Did that just confuse you? It confused me.


      Second: WOW. Excuse the cliche, but you seriously can not ever judge a book by its cover. This book took an unexpected route that I never imagined it would. From the conflicts between the family members to how sexuality poses a problem for nearly every character, to the cultural and societal differences, etc. It all just plays out so well for me. There were parts I got to while reading that I just set down the book for a moment and said, "The hell did I just read?" then went back again and said, "Wow, I know he/she did not just..." then kept reading and was like, "Damn dude, intense." Most books I read in school don't keep my attention long enough to stay awake - this did.


      I believe the title really fit in perfectly as well. Sometimes book titles are so abstract and seem to have no relevance, until you see the word on some random page in the book but still don't understand its purpose; this thankfully didn't happen with this book. The title did much justice because it was metaphorical-ish yet a literal expression of the overall theme of the story. The girls from the Dominican Republic at a point in their lives ended up in America, and the story just plays out from then on.


      So in the end, I fairly enjoyed this book. On a scale from one to ten, I'd rate it about a seven (points deducted for confusion), and i believe Mr. Sutherland has a way with choosing literature.

No comments:

Post a Comment