Friday, November 12, 2010

What I Want To Be When When I Grow Up

      Ever since I was old enough to understand what college was, I knew I wanted to go. I've always known what I wanted to do when I got older too,  and I have had my heart set on one school. I want to attend the Academy of Art University. I want to be an art teacher one day, and create my own art program in Oakland. But now that I'm older and getting close to leaving the nest, alot of conflicts have come up. 

      I was asked once, “Would you rather be poor with the job you love, or be rich with a job you hate?” It was something I had a hard time deciding, and to this day I still don't have my answer. With a job you love, you have the motivation to wake up in the morning and get to work. You don't stress too much on how much money you make because you have an intense devotion to what you're doing with your life. But with a job you loathe, what drives you to keep doing it? Everyday of you wake up and hate your life. Nobody ever sees you happy because...well, you aren't happy! Yeah, your bills are paid, but what then?

      With today's economy people don't have much leeway to "follow their dreams".  At young ages people have big ambitions, but as they get older, they don't seem to have the same intentions for their future that they once had. This somewhat upsets me because I don't know if I will be able to persue my career one day. Artists don't make much money. Teachers definitely don't make as much as the should. I have no idea what an art teacher will be making.

      I've never known what else I wanted to do with my life - art is my passion. And my even bigger passion is helping others express their creativity. I want to be an art teacher because art is an expression of creative skill and imagination. Art programs have sadly been cut from public schools, and my dream is to bring them back. In middle school I loved going to art class - it let me relax, unwind, and let loose all the stress I had from any academic classes. I want the next generation of kids to be able to have that same experience.

1 comment:

  1. This is inspiring. And I hate to say it, but your worries about a tenable and secure future as an art teacher look...well, dubious, in the current climate. It is hard not to take notice when students say they want to become teachers, though...so I'd like to make myself available to talk with you about this profession whenever you'd like; an open invitation.

    ReplyDelete